The Southern California College Advising Corps (SCCAC) partners with local high schools to improve college outcomes for low-income, first-generation, and underrepresented students. We do this by placing well-trained, recent college graduates within partner schools as full-time college advisers. This form is an invitation for school districts to submit applications to become SCCAC partners.
SCCAC is a partnership between the University of Southern California and the College Advising Corp (CAC), a national organization whose mission is to increase the number of low-income, first-generation college, and underrepresented high school students who enter and complete higher education.
For more information about SCCAC, please visit: cerpp.usc.edu/sccac
For more information about CAC, please visit: http://advisingcorps.org/
Application due date: 2/10/17
What We Look For In Our Partners
SCCAC is currently exploring expansion to new districts who would like to partner programmatically and are able to contribute financially to the program.
The annual cost of an adviser is more than $50,000, and we would expect our partners to contribute 60% of the cost. We would provide the other 40% of the cost of an adviser. Thus each adviser position would require a $30,000 annual contribution from the partner district.
We seek two year commitments from partners. When partnering with a new district we hope to remain in partnership for as long as the need for our services exists within the district; however we seek an initial two year commitment.
If you would like to partner as a district for one or more high schools, please have appropriate district personnel review and complete this application.
Ideal partner schools would have:
The Role of the Adviser
An adviser’s primary responsibility is to improve the college-going rate on campus. They do so by providing college and financial aid advising to students and their families through one-on-one and group sessions that help students: identify colleges that will serve them well, complete their admissions and financial aid applications, and enroll successfully for college.
Advisers are placed at their campus full-time, five days a week. Their services are open to all students on campus (not cohort-based), and the advisers perform outreach to ensure they are reaching a diverse cross-section of students. Advisers are full-time USC employees--not interns. Although many of them are in graduate programs, their work in SCCAC is not as part of any graduate program or internship, rather they are early college advisement professionals.
Advisers supplement, NOT replace, existing high school counseling staff. Our advisers receive 160 hours of intensive, detailed college admissions and financial aid training prior to being placed on campus. They also participate in monthly professional development sessions. Their training provides them with the technical skills and hands-on experience to help students complete the steps necessary to choose, apply, enroll, and matriculate to post-secondary education. They should perform college advisement to the exclusion of all other tasks.
In 2015-16, our SCCAC advisers collectively served over 41,000 students by providing direct services and improving the college-going culture on their campuses. Our 22 advisers helped their students accomplish:
4-Yr College Applications
2-Yr College Applications
Total Interactions w/Students
College Application Waivers
External evaluations by Stanford University show that students served by College Advising Corps advisers are:
For more detailed information on our impact see the 2014-15 SCCAC Impact Report at this link: https://cerpp.usc.edu/college-advising-program/program-impact-and-data-driven-results/
Data Sharing Requirements
Partner districts will agree via MOU to give the Southern California College Advising Corps access to the following data:
Partner Schools will provide the adviser with:
Student database access via individual login credentials
Access to work with all students in the school
Access to a space in which to host group events
Access to computer labs
An on-site liaison to act as a mentor
Participation as a member of the school’s counseling team